Saturday, August 29, 2009

Black Beauty - Sewell

The first of my 100. 'Black Beauty' by Anna Sewell.

A beautiful, eloquent novel written from the viewpoint of a horse, Black Beauty, and spans his life and his experiences, which range from pastures in the country to the cobblestone streets of Victorian England.
Sewell draws attention to the mistreatment of horses, emphasizing that while horses may be 'dumb animals' they are no less affected by the treatment of their masters.
"I said, 'You used to stand up for yourself if you were ill-used.'
'Ah!' she said, 'I did once, but it's no use; men are strongest, and if they are cruel and have no feeling, there is nothing that we can do but just bear it - bear it on and on to the end. I wish the end was come; I wish I was dead. I have seen dead horses, and I am sure they do not suffer pain."

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Penny for Your Thoughts