Saturday, June 6, 2009

Skeena Flooding?!

Last summer, I swear to you I nearly died from a vitamin D deficiency. It was, hands down, the worst summer EVAR. With only a couple weeks of sunny days, inerspersed with rain, clouds and more rain, I tell you, there was more than a few times where I nearly dropped dead on my computer desk at work from the heartbreak of it all.

Meanwhile, this being my first summer in the Northwest, everyone in Terrace was saying, "Oh, Amber, no, this is such unuuuusual weather, this neeeeeeever happens, we always get hot summers and it's just so great and wonderful and we don't understand why this summer is in the shitter...."

Needless to say I was skeptical.

It seems however these local yokels may have actually been genuine in their defense of Terrace weather. For the last 6-7 days we've been having 30 degree heat! YAY! It's been fabulous. And I don't think I've ever heard so many conversations starting with the sentence: "Hot enough for ya?" Love it.

It seem however that in this area, heat like this all at once comes with a fairly heavy cost. THE SKEENA. Everyone is freaking about how high it is, understandably, because with all this hot weather the levels are ridiculous bordering on 'run for your lives!'

To view a handy mathematical chart that outlines the water levels, click here.

Video of 'The Flood of 2007', to which all things are compared.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Penny for Your Thoughts