Wednesday, May 20, 2009

As if my life wasn't chaotic enough already..

Allow me to set the stage:

For the last two weeks we have had three couchsurfers staying in our trailer and garage while they look for work and other accomodation in Terrace. Two brothers from Ireland and one girlfriend, from Arkansas. They are absolutely lovely and though they were originally only going to stay for a few days, we have extended our home to them for as long as they would like, primarily because of their fabulous cooking, dog walking, and pub stories.

Yesterday was the dress rehearsal for the show I'm performing in with the Terrace Little Theatre, which I have written about here and here. My life is now fully and entirely dictated by the needs of the theatre as we set to embark on the first of 9, (yes NINE), shows tomorrow night.

Zoe is in heat and has escaped about five times (we've lost count), most recently this morning, and continues to evade our attempts to keep her in the house and yard with her wily female tricks.

So, with all this, as if my life wasn't already balancing on the fringe of utter disorder, OUR PLUMBING IS ON THE FRITZ.

Two days ago, I noticed that the bathroom sink wasn't draining as quickly as normal, and when the tap was on there were gurgling noises coming from the other drains. I immediately let Dave know that we should call the plumber, to which he responded, "no it's fine, there's nothing wrong. Besides, the plumber will cost too much."

Feeling strongly that it was a problem we should pay attention to, I pressed the matter several times throughout the day, until he finally told me that it was alright to call.

I left work at 5:30, in a hurry to make it to dress rehearsal which began at 6, and came home to discover that the bathtub was lined with a quarter-inch of black sludge. I immediately assumed that the plumber had come by and had left this disgusting mess in my bathroom (which I had spent an hour cleaning the day before). Thankfully I was able to keep the contents of my stomach inside my body at the sight of this and I managed to clean it up. This left me with 3 minutes to get to rehearsal so I had to run out the door, after giving the plumber's emergency number to one of the Irishmen, just in case.

Dress rehearsal came and went, and afterwards I got a phone call from Dave explaining that the plumber had made things worse and now the tub wasn't draining and they couldn't use the water. I was shocked, thinking that the problem had been fixed, but I was distracted by a second phone call coming in from a person saying they had found Zoe. Who we DIDN'T EVEN KNOW WAS MISSING.


This morning, when I called the plumber, all geared up to ream them out for the mess they left and for not fixing our problem, when they informed me that had not come by yet.


My tub backed up on its own! EEEWWW!

All morning my coworkers have been regaling me with horror stories about roots digging through pipe, entire yards being dug up, thousands of dollars gone!!! (So comforting, the people I work with).

Anyway, the plumber has promised to go by today, and have also promised not to let my dog out, and hopefully are going to solve all my problems, preferably without taking any of our limbs or firstborn children!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Penny for Your Thoughts